Proper preparation of your belongings for self storage is critical for both short and long term storage. Preparation for long-term storage, on the other hand, takes more time and work. That is, if you do not wish for your stuff to perish.
The following are some critical guidelines to assist you in preparing for long term storage.
- For long-term storage, draping a tarp over the floor of your storage facility may be advantageous. Moisture can seep through the concrete floor over time; while this is unlikely, it is best to be cautious than sorry! Avoiding this is as simple as draping a tarp across the floor of your storage space.
- Ensure that your belongings are properly stored. Avoid using plastic bags to pack your belongings; instead, use adequate storage materials such as packing boxes. Additionally, it is preferable to utilize fresh cardboard boxes rather than recycled ones for long-term storage.
- Taking the effort to correctly pack your goods is critical to ensuring their safety and preventing unnecessary harm.
- Ensure that you label all of your boxes or maintain an accurate inventory. This will assist you in remembering what is contained in your self storage unit, as you may lose track of it over time. This is critical for both short and long term storage. Labeling your storage boxes also aids in avoiding the breakage of fragile objects by indicating their location within your storage facility.
- Insuring your belongings is also a good option if you’re storing them for an extended period of time (or short term). Particularly if you’re relocating overseas and storing the majority of your belongings. Conduct some research and ensure that the policy you choose covers everything you require. Again, it is preferable to be safe than sorry!
- Arrange for someone to check in on your storage unit on a regular basis. Long term storage implies that you will not visit your storage unit for an extended period of time. If you ever require something from your storage facility, having a local person who can pick it up and deliver it to you is convenient. Additionally, this individual may serve as a point of contact if there was ever an issue with your self storage unit.
- Arrange for your rental fee to be deducted monthly via direct debit. If you’re traveling the world or have relocated to a different state, you’re unlikely to cancel your storage subscription anytime soon. Additionally, it simplifies both your and your storage provider’s lives!
Do you require long-term storage?
We offer both short and long term storage at A Storage Place, including indoor self storage units and outdoor vehicle storage. Our Wilmington storage facility offers a range of storage unit sizes. If you’re looking for self storage near you, give our helpful team a call!